Saturday, May 23, 2009

Loooong Days---

First up, sorry for not updating yesterday. I went in yesterday at 8 and stayed till 10:45 or so. Not to worry, I went in today at 6:30 am. Lets just say, Im a little on the tired side. Work yesterday started off with me doing small jobs. Nothing too strenuous. Then I was assigned to something I was rather familiar with: patching and repairing home plate. They do it after the game but we check it again the next day to make sure the clay didn't settle and see if they forgot any. Also we have to repair the batters box. Instead of just chalking or repainting every time, they do it a little different here at Fenway. They keep their base paths very firm and tamp and replace scars each game. We pack it tight with clay and then smooth it off with some water. Later in the day a solution mixed with chalk, water, and paint is added to the clay and sets to dry. When dry all you have to do is sweep the line off come game time. Saves us a lot of time and we don't have to deal with the chalk.

After that I just did normal jobs and set up for BP. If you come in before 1 pm you get a free dinner. So I did that and then prepared for the game. Last night was my first game, so that was fun to see and be a part of. Fenway is quite the place for a ball game. The atmosphere in the ball park is just ridiculous. So much energy. The fans don't leave in the 7th inning. You better believe they stay until the final out. So thats kind of fun. Sweet Caroline in the 8th is pretty excellent too. Left the ball park, talked to the parents, took a shower, and seriously fell right asleep.

Today the 23rd was pretty similar to yesterday. Did a lot of the same things. We had a lot of guys in early, thinking we were going to have to take the tarp off. It was a pretty chili day in Boston. Only topped out around 63 or so. Very cold night. But I like it--little to no humidity. Getting a nice tan. Well nice as in--my arms, my neck, my legs. Everyone was in a really funny mood this morning b/c we went in so early not knowing why. So that made it a little more fun. I've gotta be at work tomorrow morning at 6:30. Game time is at 1:10 ET. I believe its on TBS. Maybe look for it. Not sure if I'll be working the game or not. I've walked through a few cameras thus far, so you may or may not see me. :)

Hope all is well back home, or wherever. Apparently Adam Sandler was in the house tonight. Kind of cool. My boss signed a baseball for a fan tonight. He's famous. I need to do laundry so badddd. Mom will you please come do it for me? Thanks.

William-sorry you didn't make it to state. You're still the fastest Grefrath. Proud of you buddy.

You guys are awesome. I seriously look forward to writing in this every day so you can hear about it. I hope you're enjoying it. If you have any comments, questions, or something you want me to go see. Tell me!

Awesome.

Sleeping to dream,

Phil

1 comment: