Monday, May 18, 2009

planes, taxis, legs?

What is up!!

As said below, arrived in Boston at about 3:20. At the KC airport I see Herm Edward just walk right on by. Nothing big. I bought a sandwich at the DC airport. It had a lot of bread, and 2 pieces of turkey. Awesome. Got my luggage, called my dad, texted my mom. Called this "shuttle van" service to come pick me up and take me to Emmanuel College. Come to find out, they didn't have anyone around the area so I had to take a $40 cab there. No big deal, just won't do that again. Made small talk with the cab driver. As in small talk I mean "where you from? Missouri. Working for the Red Sox. Oh its a good city." Thats all. Did a little unpacking and what not got my room situated a bit. Waited for my roommate Wes, to come home and then we went out on the town.

We walked around the area of Yawkey Way and Fenway Park to kind of get to know the area. First saw the big Citgo sign, like everyone sees and says. Its massive and lights up at night. You really don't understand how big it is until you get here. We ended up being able to go into Fenway for a few minutes. I figured out where I needed to go for tomorrow and got to take a peek at the field. Gorgeous. For me it was like seeing a painting or some sort of masterpiece. Pretty unreal. So empty, yet so alive with history. Wes told me about the Red seat in right field--where Ted Williams hit the longest hr. Then a guy walks passed us and says--"thats bull shit". haha--I laughed. We left there, and walked around a little more before stopping for dinner at Chipotle. I know right--flew all the way to Boston to eat Chipotle. It was good, I promise. After that we walked down the street to a Bed Bath and Beyond and I bought some things for my bed. Our room looks pretty great, as his blankets are red and mine blue. :)

We wanted to go out again so we went to Shaws--a local grocery store. Something similar to a Dillons, or Gerbes. As Wes and I got groceries "Boston" by Augustana came on the store speaker. Haha, we both looked at each other and laughed. Was just too perfect and still couldn't believe I was there. Then--yes Stephanie--we went to Dunkin Donuts. It was great. I got a chocolate iced with sprinkles and it was a great end to a great day. Im tired, but ready. I report for work at Fenway Park at 2:00 tomorrow. Not sure what I'll be doing but none the less, it should be great!

Hopefully you made it this far. I'll update tomorrow with how the first day went and whatever else I did. Thanks all of you for your support! You are awessssome. (just like the brand of paper towels we bought today)

Mom, happy birthday tomorrow or today, depending when you read this. Love you.

belly full with a dunkin donut,

Phil

5 comments:

  1. "Big" Phil-
    I love reading your blog! Mom and I check it everyday. I am so excited for your big day tomorrow and can't wait to read the details. Can't wait to see you in July- by then you will be a pro at taking care of things at Fenway!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks. I hope so! :-/

    My address is:

    Phil Grefrath
    Summer Resident
    Emmanuel College
    400 The Fenway
    Boston, MA 02115

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Boston, Phil. I recommend the Dunkin Donuts large iced coffee with cream and sugar. And funny enough, we're going to Missouri tomorrow for a couple days. Have fun,

    Jonny Struemph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil-did you get Mitch an extra donut? You know he gets cranky about them dunkin donuts...tee hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. Mark. I'm selfish remember. I got one for myself.

    ReplyDelete