Friday, June 19, 2009

I'm Baaaaaack!

Im sorry, I'm sorry.

After a 12.5 hour day at the park yesterday I arrived back home at 12 am and went straight to bed since I had to be up in 6 hours. Heres how yesterday (June 18th) went down.

Got to the park at 11 and it started to rain around 1 or so? We did a lot of work in the morning in order to be prepared for the game if we were going to be able to play. The weather reports all afternoon/evening were calling for rain all night and not stopping till the next day. Oh but no, there was a window from about 7-9 that we had to squeeze the game in! I understand, you gotta do what you gotta do. Apparently Fenway loses 1 mil or so every time a game gets postponed. Thats legit. So it was pretty hectic before the game as always, people running around trying to get the infield dry enough and safe enough to play. The game started and of course moved slow. We got to the 5th and it started to rain steady. In the top of the 6th it started to really come down and the umpires called for us to get the tarp and bring it on the field. Last time we did this, we got more cheers than boos. This time, I don't remember hearing a cheer--all boos. Oh well. We got the tarp on and in place and then sat in the dugout. Oh, no big deal- sat next to Hanley Ramirez. I remember him saying--"man i just want to get out of here so i can go get drunk". Nice Hanley. I wanted to tell him to play better since I picked him first for my fantasy team, but I didn't have the guts. When I was pulling the tarp out my fingers got caught in it and pretty well ripped my middle fingernail up but not off. Hurt sooo bad---but is feeling better now. Who would've thought grounds keeping would entail this much blood, sweat and tears. The rain didnt stop and we ended up sitting in the dugout for 2 hours waiting for them to just call it. Finally at 11:30 they decided to call it.

Today I was at the park at 7 am. We didn't get started on things until 8, as the rain was still coming down. It ended up staying around until about 1 or 2. When that happens you have to fix and prep things part by part. With the rain still coming down, we couldn't just take the tarp off and fix the field--had to do baseline by baseline, homeplate, mound. The rain finally stopped for a bit, and we worked hard to get it in playing condition as others set up for batting practice. During the Sox BP it started to drizzle a bit, and about 5 minutes later it was POURING! There we were AGAIN, pushing that stupid tarp onto the field. By this time we were dead tired, felt like we couldn't go any more, but we did. 15 Minutes later the rain finally stopped for the night and we took it off, and again worked hard to get the field in tip top condition. We even got a glimpse of the sun during this. Dinner was provided for us tonight which was nice! I stayed and worked the game and drug the field in the 3, 5, 7 inning. I was spent after that and didn't have much energy to do much else. Today I went through 3 pairs of socks and 2 shoes. Thank God, I had extras!! Doing some laundry tonight, since I don't go in until 2 tomorrow. Yay for sleeping in!

Sorry again for not updating. I hope you understand. :)

Ben and Bethany--Congrats on getting married. Love you guys and can't wait to see you when I get back!

my father is getting an iPhone?,

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment